Jesus’ last command:
"Go and make disciples of all nations." (Matt. 28:19)
As J. Hudson Taylor, the founder of the China Inland Mission (now OMF International) once pointed out, “The Great Commission is not an option to be considered; it is a command to be obeyed."
There are numerous ways each of us can participate in God’s plan to take the Gospel to all people groups. Here are some ideas for how you might get involved:
- Pray for God to send out workers into the harvest.
- Buy “Operation World” (for adults) or “Windows on the World” (for kids) and pray faithfully each day.
- Sign-up to receive a missionary’s prayer letters or email updates and then pray for their needs.
- Pray through the international section of a newspaper or news website.
- Support a missionary with a monthly pledge.
- Write a missionary and ask if they have any special needs. Then give.
- When a missionary is home, help stock their home with supplies.
- Write an encouraging letter to a missionary.
- Be intentional about sending birthday and holiday cards to missionaries.
- When missionaries are home, set aside time to listen to their stories.
- Talk with one of our church elders about your desire to serve overseas.
- Become a “tentmaker,” using your professional skills to gain access to another country.
- Go on one of the short-term “vision trips” that our church offers.
- Retired? Become a missionary nanny, a dorm parent for missionary kids, or run a mission home.
- Ask God to give you an opportunity to welcome people from other countries.
- Go often to an ethnic restaurant. Try to get to know and befriend those who work there.
- When given the opportunity, volunteer to host students visiting from other countries.
- Learn all you can about some of the local ethnic groups in our area.
- Read a biography of a missionary.
- Subscribe to a free magazine like “Voice of the Martyrs” or “Mission Frontiers.”
- Take the Perspectives Course when it’s offered.
- Study a foreign language.
- Keep updated with missionaries and bring their prayer needs before your home group.
- Become an advocate for a missionary you know, talking about his or her ministry with others you know to help them gain new partners.
- Be a voice that encourages people to hold an outward focus on their lives.
- Encourage your children or grandchildren to consider becoming a missionary in the future.